Wednesday, November 24, 2004

These are the days

These are the days of grace.
These are the days of Elijah.
These are the days of our lives!
And what amazing days they are!

I know God is in control of all things. Nothing goes unnoticed in "these days." But oh the drama...secrecy...joy...frustration...fun...pain...and on and on and on...

My mother recently forwarded to me an e-mail with the subject being "Christian One-Liners." I opened it, read it and laughed at a few...some were just plain goofy. But the truth in some seemed too deep! Some examples that made me chuckled:

Don't let your worries get the best of you, remember, Moses started out as a basket case!
The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes (& fire ants & flies) come close.
Forbidden fruits create many jams.
God loves everyone, but probably prefers "fruit(s) of the spirit" over "religious nuts!"
Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Now the others:
Many folks want to serve God, but only as advisors.
Opportunity may knock once, but temptation bangs on your front door forever!
A lot of church members who are singing "standing on the promises" are just sitting on the premises.
If the church wants a better preacher, it only needs to pray for the one it has.
Quit griping about your church...if it was perfect, you couldn't belong to it.

And finally, one that made me laugh and then it stuck with me...People are funny, they want the front of the bus, the middle of the road, and the back of the church.

I am that people! I want comfort! I want to sit on the front so I can get out first! Same would probably be true for church (except that I work there and thus have a "reserved" seat in the front.) And when it comes to the middle of the road...always! It's safest there! I'm not at risk of being too close to oncoming traffic or of falling off the shoulder down the steep ledge that may or may not exist. Plenty of parallels in our Christian walk!

These are the days...

This was kind of an everywhere blog...any thoughts?


Comments:
The one-liner about churchgoers who sing 'Standing on the Promises' may actually be 'sitting on the premises' reminded me of a comment I heard made once, that many Christians should perhaps reword another popular song to fit our lifestyle: 'My hope is built on nothing less than ... what I drive and how I dress.' A good warning if I ever heard one.

Hey, this was two days in a row for you! Keep 'em coming!
Brian
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]