Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I Peter Thoughts

On Sunday's, we have been going through 1 Peter and I will say it has been very good. The thoughts heard on Sunday morning carry over into our Sunday evening small group discussion. I love hearing everyone's thoughts. Anyway, one of the speakers points that has stayed with me is in reference to a slide he had shown called (I think) the hierachy principle:
Spiritual Essence
Identity
Values Beliefs & Convictions
Attitudes
Skills & Abilities
Behavior
Settings & Situations

They all interrelate (your settings and situations affect your behavior which affect your skills and abilities, etc) but rather than working it this way and only staying focused on the bottom half, his urge was that we move near the top and discover those and watch them change the bottom portion. (At least this is what I got out of it and it is helping!!)

So, on Sunday evening & Monday morning I confessed to our small group and staff at church about my angry "behavior" towards my children. I don't like it. I have tried and tried to conrol this "behavior" especially in the "settings and situations" where my children are disobedient, defiant or disrespectful. And while I can lay the law down, the anger that comes from within I can only think is more damaging than the correction needed. (I must admit, I'm embarrassed sharing this.)

However, what I have focused on for so long is the "behavior." I've prayed for it to change, for newness, I've tried to go the route of counting to ten before responding (this actually helps), but ultimately, I fail everytime. So nowI am trying to focus on my "spiritual essence" and my "identity". Mike Armour said "If we wear God's name we should bear his nature." I Peter 1:15-16, "But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.'" I need to become what I am...holy...that is my essence and identity. If I can focus on that, then my behavior would change to one that is more like Christ, right?

Just some thoughts...still thinking!

Comments:
I know you were embarassed typing this, but I am glad you did. I found myself thinking dealing with these same things. I hate that ugly voice I hear coming from my mouth when anger boils up in me and spews out. I too have thought, and prayed, and counted to ten. All these things help but still the ugly voice comes out. I'm reading Sacred Parenting...just started yesterday actually, and it has given me some great pointers towards what you said here. I think you are on to something! Thanks for sharing.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]