Sunday, February 27, 2005

Holy Spirit Blank Checks?

Well, I can't believe no one has gotten the Bonus Time...it's still open for any takers.

I took a couple of tests and figured I would share and then get on to other pressing matters.

Off all the people that took this loser test, I'm cooler than over half. But the fact that I'm posting it, does that make me a loser.

I am 42% loser. What about you? Click here to find out!



And the other nice thing is I'm not going to die until I'm at least:

I am going to die at 71. When are you? Click here to find out!


As I mentioned in my last blog, I went to a conference last week and the main topic was about healing. I don't know if I am just such an infant I don't get it, if my faith is so small that nothing can be done, or if my ubelief is so gargantuan that I wouldn't have a clue anyway. One of the speakers, Thurman Scrivner, basically came at it with the idea that "If God says it, then I'm going to take Him at His Word and act & believe upon those promises." And so he quotes these "Supernatural Promises of God" or "HOLY SPIRIT BLANK CHECKS" then simply believes, and then shares the stories of healings that occur. Here are a few of the scriptures he might use with the Promises in Red:

Matt 8:13
3 Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go your way; and AS YOU HAVE BELIEVED, SO LET IT BE DONE FOR YOU." And his servant was healed that same hour. NKJV

Matt 18:18-20
18 "Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19 "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning ANYTHING THAT THEY ASK, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them." NKJV

Matt 19:25-26
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, "Who then can be saved?" 26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God ALL
THINGS ARE POSSIBLE
." NKJV

Mark 11:22-24
22 So Jesus answered and said to them, "Have faith in God. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24 THEREFORE I SAY TO YOU, WHATEVER THINGS YOU ASK WHEN YOU PRAY, BELIEVE THAT YOU RECEIVE THEM, AND YOU WILL HAVE THEM." NKJV

John 14:12-14
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and GREATER WORKS than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 IF YOU ASK ANYTHING IN MY NAME, I WILL DO IT. NKJV

John 16:23-24
23 "And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU ASK THE FATHER IN MY NAME HE WILL GIVE YOU. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in My name. ASK, AND YOU WILL RECEIVE, THAT YOUR JOY MAY BE FULL. NKJV

His thought is if you pray these verses, you will do and receive amazing things. I know this sounds like a "Health & Prosperity Gospel" but what if...(does that sound like a shaky faith). I certainly don't have any answers, but I am searching and that is a good thing. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter?

Comments:
In my understanding, the Bible often contains paradoxes, or dichotomies, where in one place it seems to say one thing, and in another it seems to say the opposite or something totally different. The issue of free will versus predestination comes to mind, where scriptures can be found supporting either perspective, and in the end I think both must be true, though how that can be I don't know.

I suspect that this may be another of those areas. Every scripture you've raised above is unambiguous and clear. However, other scriptures can be found pointing the other direction, indicating that (at least sometimes) God says 'no'. God answered Paul's request with 'my grace is sufficient for you', which is a 'no' if I ever heard one, albeit an extremely gentle 'no' (which of us could argue with that statement from God?)

I will say this, however: our pendulums often swing too far toward one side or the other on these issues, and speaking for myself, my pendulum right now seems to be pointing toward God saying 'no' to most things unless they just happen to also be within my own power to accomplish (isn't that convenient?). Its probably time for me to stretch this part of my faith and see where that leads...

my 2 pesos
B
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]