Monday, May 23, 2005

Star Wars, Friends & Death

What a title! At least 3 things I want to touch on. I'll start with the last and work to the first.

Wylie Brown died on Friday and his funeral is tomorrow in Abilene at Southern Hills at 10 a.m. I, along with several from our staff and church will plan on attending. You see, Wylie was a great man of God who served as a Shepherd at Southlake Blvd. Church. His wife, Alice, was our Children's minister as well. Due to declining health in Wylie (a couple of strokes and other illnesses) Alice had to retire and devote full time to Wylie. But now this giant of a man, spiritually and physically (I think he was in the 6' 9" catagory) is no longer groaning in his earthly tent. Praise God for that! Wylie loved gospel music and had a great deep bass voice. He will be missed and yet we will see him again. I can't wait to see Alice just to hug on her!

This past weekend we went to Sugar Land, Texas and got to see great friends! We stayed with Ron & Penny and were treated like royalty at their home. They are an amazing couple full of the Holy Spirit with just as amazing kids. I may get in trouble on this next part, but I want to name names. We loved getting to see so many friends this trip. The Fridges, Lindseys, Gowens, Beasleys, Roberts, along with the Clydes and Dana Wright (missed Shiela!) all gathered for worship on Friday night. An awesome night of praise, prayer and confession! Then we were able to see all the staff and elders of the First Colony Church of Christ at the home of the Normans on Saturday night. Then on Sunday morning we saw EVERYONE! Brenda, Bryans (great talking with Don), Billingslys, Parks, Smiths, Rhodes, Menefees, Hamiltons, Stirmans, Carlisles, Calverts, Wolfes, Waddills, Aarons, Crowders, and many, many more. Dana, thanks for opening up your home and being such a great host as we invaded your new "theater" room (nice!) and watching IRobot! And Ron, I love pool cleaning! I'm still thinking about it and even though you won't believe me, that was the most fun!

Now this leads me to my review of Star Wars Episode III. If you haven't seen it and don't want anything spoiled...stop reading!

I did not totally enjoy this movie as so many others have. Two of my coworkers and I got into a fist fight over this today. They both have black eyes and I have some teeth missing along with some scratches (just kidding). I thought the actor for Anakin was WEAK! and he did not help his co-stars by his lack of acting. I tolarated Padme and liked ObiWan as well as Yoda (a puppet!). I appreciated the understanding of the transformation of Anakin to Darth Vader and thought that was a great part of the movie, from his time next to the lava flow to becoming DV. All the while new life being born with the birth of Luke and his sister. Some GRIPES:

Is Padme of human origin? If so, the timeline sure did not seem to take nine months to form and even if it did, she was not big enough to have had those twins at their size!

If the master Jedi were truly "masters" (and I mean those quotes in the most sarcastic way possible) then why couldn't they feel the "shift" in the "force" when all the people around them "turned" and sabotaged them. Come on, the puppet felt it! Yet aside from Anakin, they were ALL "masters!"

Finally, when Anakin stopped Samuel L Jackson from finishing off the sith, then the sith threw SLJ (I think his name was Windu) out the window, Anakin at first said "What have I done?" and said this in the most pathetic non-acting way possible. Then in an awkard two second pause turned and bowed to the sith and claimed him his master! It was too easy and fast. I understand that "good intentions" of wanting to go to the dark side out of love for his wife, but seriously!

Sorry, one more little thing: how is it that NO ONE KNEW of Anakin and Padme's relationship...even Obiwan!

That's it! Sorry for the length. Be blessed!

Comments:
Star Wars III bashing? What? This is a disgrace!!!! And I believe if I am correct, the jedi councel in Epi.III say they don't trust Anakin and when Obiwon says "He is the chosen one isnt he?" Yoda says that they could have read it wrong and that he might not be.

Also, several people knew of the reltaionship. If you noticed Padme nor Anakin told anyone but the Sith, Obiwon and a few others knew. They all mentioned it to Padme or Anakin at some point before the birth. Obiwon asked Padme is Anakin was the father. And the Sith told Anakin he could save Padme from death.

And part of the reason for the fast transition would be because Anakin knew that was hs only way to save Padme and instantly gave himself up to the Sith. Anakin also was craving the power and wanted to be in controll and knew he would be if he became Darth Vader.
 
Bro, I read your blog regularly, and I must respectfully ask that you include a ***SPOILER WARNING*** alert before blabbling all about a movie that just came out. Wouldn't want to ruin it for me, would ya? ;-)

FYI - i finally wrote a little on my blog this week if you have a minute to check it out.

B
 
Yes...I agree...

And as I re-read some comments previoulsy posted on here, I realized I forgot to mention that I was very happy to see Master Windu die. I hate that character. I enjoyed watching him die both times I saw the movie.
 
Saw Star Wars Ep3 over the weekend. I understand your complaint about Anakin's sudden leap to the dark side. I think Lucas should have started him out leaning more toward the dark side from the beginning of this film -- I'm not sure how to script a person going from mostly good to mostly bad in 90 minutes and make it believable, except possibly to have the person lose his mind. I think Anakin seemed pretty mad by the end, but it wasn't explained very well.

However, I can't bring myself to really complain about the flick. I'll put up with a lot just to get to watch any movie with lightsaber duels. :-)

B
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]