Wednesday, April 18, 2007

15 Years and counting

15 years ago today, Ali and I stood in front of family and friends at ACU's Chapel on the Hill and vowed to love each other until death should part us. And what an amazing 15 years it has been.


I sang (over my own prerecorded vocal track cause I knew I might not make it through the song...Wendy Wray Ogren accompanied me on the piano) Ali down the aisle. "Arise With Me" by Michael Card and no, I didn't make it through...She was so beautiful and I was an overwhelmed 22-year old! I sniffled my way to the end. Somebody, maybe my mother, handed me a Kleenex. Anyway, my dad then started the ceremony with Scripture, a story and a prayer then asked the question "Who gives this bride away?" Ali's dad had walked her down the aisle, answered "Her Mother and I" and then he took over the rest of the ceremony. It was a great day!

We left that day in a horse and carriage to our awaiting vehicle at Ali's grandparent's house. Our honeymoon was spent in Northwest Arkansas at a cabin my aunt and uncle owned on a private lake. (It was free and beautiful!) We actually stopped for the night on the way there at what then used to be the Harvey Hotel here in the DFW area.

After the week we traveled back and made a quick stop at the Burleson Church of Christ to interview for their youth ministry position. They asked if I played the guitar, I told them barely, they asked if I'd play it around the kids, I said probably, they never called!

We made a decision to go to San Antonio over Thousand Oaks, CA for a job. After two years, we moved back to Abilene for Master's degrees. Then on to Houston for 5+ years and now we are nearing the 5 year mark here at Southlake.

We've been blessed with 3 awesome and beautiful kids in these 15 years, but I must say...sitting across from my wife at breakfast this morning...She is more beautiful today than the day I was overwhelmed by seeing her beauty walk down the aisle at the Chapel on the Hill at ACU.

I love you, Ali!

Comments:
Very cool Nino! Marriage is a wild ride. As they say, 'A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.'
 
I remember the song. I remember the carriage (and the surreptitious background pic of Royce and me). I remember the sniffles. I just can't believe that it was fifteen years ago- just like I can't believe we're coming up on the same milestone. We're lucky that our wives haven't aged like we have.
 
Hey, friend. I'm cruisin' the blogworld this morning and found yours. This is a little belated but "happy anniversary" anyway. I remember the day well. I love you guys and so glad you made it to parrish's place. Fun times. Let me know what's happening in your life.
Ed
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]